Saturday 28 July 2012

fred williams: infinite horizons


I’ve been a bit down lately. My sister is very unwell and I am feeling pretty unexcited about uni this semester. It’s funny how no matter how much you tell yourself that there is no point in wallowing about in your own self-pity, nothing seems to make a difference. I woke up on Tuesday feeling pretty miserable. I really dislike going into the city every day and my sweetie little sister is constantly in the back of my mind. I have a big break in the middle of the day, so I decided that instead of catching up on some of the homework I am already way behind on, I would hop on a tram and make my way down to Federation Square to see the Fred Williams exhibition at the NGV.

It was such a beautiful exhibition. The colours have been floating about in my head ever since. There’s something kind of therapeutic about looking at artwork. I tend to find that my favourite paintings are the ones that really draw me in and have an ability to kind of distract you from the rest of the world. I loved all of the variation in colour. Each room of the exhibition seemed to have a colour of its own – from the rich reds and oranges of the You Yangs paintings to the brilliant greens and blues of the seascapes.




I think that there’s also something really beautiful about seeing your own landscape represented in art – the landscape you have been surrounded by growing up. In general, I don’t have as great an appreciation for Australian art as I think I should. I am surrounded by the Australian bush almost every day, and it is something that is very important to me. It is lovely, and kind of refreshing, to see similar scenes depicted art.






The exhibition is on until the 5th of August. And it is free for students! I would definitely recommend checking it out!

XXX


No comments:

Post a Comment