Tuesday 6 September 2011

The Harrow and the Harvest

I have been a little bit in love with Gillian Welch for quite some time. I bought her latest album – The Harrow and the Harvest - a few weeks ago, not long after it came out. While I was rather excited to have a listen, I decided to save it. I’m heading overseas at the end of the year – to America and Mexico, and I thought that would be the perfect time to hear the album for the first time. Country music must sound better in Texas, right? So I popped it away, hid it from myself, until December. But then my dad kept talking about it, saying how he must buy it, and so I ... er... wrapped it up and gave it to him for Fathers’ Day on Sunday - but not before popping it onto my own iPod. Haha. Worst daughter ever.



Anyway, we have listened to it a few times and, I must say, it’s just the most beautiful album. It’s been 8 years since their last release and I think it was well worth the wait. Like most of Gillian Welch and David Rawlings’ music, it’s the pretty, melancholy feel that makes me really love it.



And me oh my, I just love the artwork by John Dryer Baizley! So lovely.

2 comments:

  1. Laura Stevenson is better

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. You only like Laura Stevenson because she’s in Bomb the Music Industry and some guy from Latterman plays in her band. If she was just any other indie folky singer you would have never given her a chance. They’re completely different anyway!

    ReplyDelete